One of the things I have stopped buying that has always been a staple in our house is Mac ‘n Cheese. I always had it because 1. it’s cheap 2. it’s easy to make and 3. the kids like it. I stopped buying it because I am trying to buy less processed foods and it’s really not very filling.
I have been wanting some lately and have found a couple recipes that use good ingredients. I first tried a recipe from “Deceptively Delicious” which was okay but I didn’t like the texture that the cream cheese added (and I actually didn’t hide any vegetables in it). The next one I tried was a Fannie Farmer recipe and it is oh SO good! It beats the blue box to pieces and is very filling. It is not as easy to make but it’s worth the extra work.
1 (8 oz) package macaroni
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons flour (I used whole wheat)
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups good quality shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup buttered breadcrumbs (don’t skip this)
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Cook and drain macaroni. Set aside.
3. In a sauce pan melt butter. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir until well blended.
4. Pour in milk and cream gradually, stirring constantly.
5. Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes, keep stirring.
6. Reduce heat and cook 10 minutes, keep stirring.
7. Add cheese little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
8. Turn off heat and add macaroni, stir in sauce.
9. Place in buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
10. Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
What’s for dinner at your house?