We eat a lot of bread at our house. So, I was excited to learn how to make whole wheat bread from my Titus 2 leader. It’s not that I couldn’t follow the recipes in any of my cookbooks, but this lady is a pro. She has been making making her own bread(and buns) for 15 years and even grinds the wheat for it!
I’ve been making our bread for a month now. It has been a blessing not to have to run to the store for bread and knowing what ingredients are in it. I have tried a couple different recipes. Some have been flops but I think this is the recipe I will stick with. It is basically the one my Titus 2 leader shared with us. I just adjusted a few things.
1 1/2 Tablespoons Yeast
2 Cups Hot Water 110-115°
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Honey
3/4 Tablespoon Salt
Whole Wheat Flour (not quite sure of the
measurement maybe 8 Cups)
1. Dissolve Yeast in water.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients with 1 1/2 Cups of Flour.
3. Keep adding flour until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
4.On a floured surface knead dough, until not to sticky- just pulling away from the counter, but sticky to touch.
5.Put dough in a greased bowl. Turn dough in bowl so it is greased.
6. Place bowl in warm oven 150° covered with dishtowel.
7. Let rise until doubled.
8. Take dough out of oven and punch down.
9. Divide and shape into two greased loaf pans.
10. Let rise until doubled again in warm oven.
11. Bake at 350° for around 20 minutes.
12. Take out of pans immediately (you should hear a hollow sound when tapping on the bottom).
13. Let cool. Then eat or freeze within a few days.
-You can use your mixer to mix and knead if you have a strong one. Mine can’t quite put up with the thickness.
-If you double or half this recipe still use 1 egg.
Rating: 5 thumbs up. I am still having a hard time slicing it straight. I think I need to find a kitchen gadget for that.
The next 2 recipes I post will be based on this recipe.
Let me know if you’ve tried any of the recipes I post. I’d like to know what works and what doesn’t.
What’s for dinner at your house this week?