Last week I shared with you how I got started exercising after months of sitting on the couch. I knew I couldn’t stay with the same workout for long. I needed to kick it up a notch.
After watching the biggest loser for a few years and seeing Jillian Michaels train many obese people on how to live healthier. I thought she would be a good person to train me too. I knew it would be more of a challenge than I’m used to with Denise Austin and that’s what I needed. I looked over her various DVD’s and decided to try the 30 Day Shred. Who doesn’t want to be shred in 30 days? In reality I knew it would take more than 30 days to shred my body, but was looking forward to the improvements that could be made by following her workout.
I thought I would just share a little review of what I liked and didn’t like about the workout.
- The best thing about this DVD is that the workouts are only 20 minutes!
- The workouts are very challenging, but being shorter made them more tolerable.
- She offers a lower impact variation on certain exercises, which is great for beginners.
- I don’t have much workout equipment. It was a bonus that I only had to have hand weights, which are the one thing I do have.
- I felt like I was able to see results after following the workouts.
- I love that it has variating workouts that intensify as you go. That way you can stick with the same DVD longer.
- She really worked out the whole body in all the workouts.
- Sit-ups. One of the workouts included sit-ups. I can’t do them and I have never been able to. My husband said he would help me, but really I’m okay with not knowing how right now.
- Somebody had asked about how the workout was for joints. After doing all 3 workouts I think this might be a little too hard on joints because thereis a lot of jumping- jumping jacks, jumping rope, etc. I would suggest borrowing it from the library and deciding for yourself.
- I am somewhat conservative in how I dress. Jillian showed a little too much skin in my opinion. I know why she did and I also understand that exercise is easier in certain clothes. I just chose not to have it on while the males in the house were awake.
Overall I think this is a great workout. I look forward to doing it again when my body is more at a shreddable stage.
My weight last week: 166.5
My weight this week: 164.5
Total weight loss this year: 19.5
What kind of workouts do you like to do?
4 thoughts on “Journey to a Healthier Me : Kicking it up a Notch”
Good job! I’ve never been a big fan of workout DVDs, but I do hear a lot of good things about the 30 day shred. Good luck and keep up the great work.
Great job! I have a Denise Austin that I did during my pregnancy and now have a Boot Camp Body Blast. I don’t use it as often as I should but just wanted to tell you great job and keep up the good work!