Today is our big moving day. I have been moving little things over to the new place this whole past week, but today everything goes! Moving can be very expensive, but there are a few ways I have found to save and still get the job done well. While I’m busy doing the heavy lifting and deciding where everything should go, you can learn how I have saved money on moving.
- Boxes- There is usually always somebody that has boxes to get rid of. The first places I check is our local Freecycle or Craigslist. The corner liquor store is always a great place to check too. They always have sturdy small to medium size boxes that are great for books or dishes.
- Packing Paper- Sometimes the people giving up there moving boxes will be getting rid of their paper too. Another option is to start saving your newspapers or ask someone else to, if you don’t get the paper.
- Movers- We have been blessed to have never had to hire movers. We have amazing friends that have always been willing to help move all our boxes and furniture. We always like to share a little lunch, afterwards, to say thank you.
- Moving Truck- Half of our moves we have paid for a moving truck, but the other half we were able to borrow a friends truck or trailer which saves a lot of money.
- Meals. Getting ready to move, packing and unpacking, can be a very busy time. It is so easy just to eat out most nights, but that can get expensive. This time around I planned my meals ahead of time and even had some freezer meals ready for the busy nights.
Linking up with Life as Mom- Frugal Fridays