It can be so easy to be overcome by darkness, to believe lies, when you are in a burdened season. You can hear bad news and quickly jump to all the what if’s, and just that simple you are overcome with even more grief. That is why it is important for friends and family to be ready to share truth. By truth, I mean God’s Word.
Sometimes you don’t know what is going on in their heads or if you are far away, you definitely have a harder time knowing what they are really experiencing. Sharing God’s truth in love, can never be wrong. There is never a bad time to share God’s truth either.
Easy Ways to Share Truth
- Text. Receiving a text in the middle of the day, reminding me of God’s promises was often just what I needed.
- Facebook Message. Yes, even God can redeem social media.
- Send a note in the mail.
- Praying God’s word over them. I especially appreciate hearing these prayers.
- Sending lyrics or video of a song, based on scripture.
- In Person. Of course, in your conversations is a great time to speak truth into their lives.
Truths to Share
- Isaiah 41:10
- Psalm 139
- Psalm 121
- Names or character of God
- Often what you are studying in the Bible can be what God uses to encourage someone else.
- Psalms of lament. When I was going through a burdened time these helped me too. Knowing it’s okay to grieve, as long as we don’t get stuck there. Usually these end in praise and that is important.
God’s Word has an amazing effect, it never changes, and is everlasting truth. If you’re not sure what to say, read what God said and let that lead you to comfort those that are burdened.